Carbonara does not need cream. Fact.
Beer Pairing - Wiper & True, Kaleidoscope, 4.2% Pale Ale
Recipe by Joel Darby
- 500g linguine
- 300g Smoked Streaky Bacon - sliced and cubed
- 100g Guinciale - sliced and cubed
- 1 whole egg + 4 egg yolks (Rule: 1 whole egg, plus 1 yolk per person e.g if cooking for 3 people - 1 egg + 3 yolks)
- 200g good quality pecorino
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Boil a pan of salty water, and add linguine when the water is boiling.
- In a separate pan cook off the diced bacon and guinciale until crispy. Five minutes before the pasta is cooked remove pan from the heat and set to one side.
- In a bowl, mix all the eggs together and grate in the pecorino and add the cracked black pepper pepper. Combine until it forms a thick sludge.
- When cooked, drain the linguine (save the water), and add the cooked linguine to the bacon pan and stir round to coat the pasta.
- Pour the egg pecorino mix onto the pasta and gradually shake the pan until it melts in, then fold it round and add a few spoonfuls of the pasta water until glossy.